We have had an unusual number of clients who have made payments to the IRS this year of which the IRS has not cashed the check in a timely manner. The IRS had been sending notices of balance due to taxpayers who had already paid their tax. About two weeks ago, the IRS addressed this issue and has temporarily suspended these notices. The information from their notice is summarized as follows:
- Due to Covid-19, there is a large backlog of unopened mail.
- Payments will be posted as of the date received by the IRS.
- Don’t cancel or stop-payment on the checks.
- If you did stop-payment on a check that the IRS received between March 1 and July 15, the penalties for a bad check will be waived, but other penalties and interest will apply.
- They are asking taxpayers not to call regarding uncashed checks at this time.